Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Too Young to Manage? I don't think so...


In today’s workforce we are starting to see a trend of lower/middle management positions opening up at high rates as the management chain shifts to accommodate the retirement of baby boomers. The workforce is calling and Generation Y is showing up for the task!  Several YPers are getting promoted very quickly and finding themselves managing employees not that much younger than themselves.

Moving from being an individual contributor to managing will be one of the hardest adjustments in your early career.  Don’t worry; it is okay if you are not great at it at first.  Just like all of your other skills, you will get better at managing.  Here are a couple of my blunders and a few tactical plays from when I went through this change.  My transition was not as smooth as I would have liked it, but hopefully you will learn from my mishaps!

Blunders and Tactical Plays:

1.    The first employee I managed was 3 years younger than me.  Only 3.  She only had 3 years less experience than I did.  Only 3.  I felt that I had to show her how much I knew and that I was the authority.  Rather than getting to know her and how she liked to be managed, I imposed my management style upon her. She didn't flourish.  She hated coming to work and she didn't give me her best work. It caused a horrible dynamic.  Finally, my VP sat me down to talk about her performance.  I was armed with several examples of how she “just wasn't working out”.  However, the first question my VP asked was, “Why don’t you think she likes working here.”  I didn't have an answer.  I was told to go get to know my employees and see how we could save her.  That was a hard lesson for me to learn.  It wasn't the “Sarah Show” anymore.  I had already proven myself; it was now time to focus on the development of someone else.

2.    To drink or not to drink with your employees?  When you are in the same stage of your life as your employees, do you go out and do things with them or do you keep your relationship strictly professional?  My recommendation is to do a mixture.  I don’t have any good personal examples of this, but being in HR I have been the moderator in a few of these situations.  As your HR guru, I simply ask that you always remember this question, “Do you want your HR person to ask you about this tomorrow.”  If the answer is no, then stop and go home.  If you are fine with admitting what you are doing, then you are probably doing okay.  Each company is different and has different expectations for their manager’s interactions with their employees.  Follow the lead of your boss.  With that being said, never forget that you are in fact your employee’s manager and if they stop performing, showing up, meeting deadlines, you will have to do something about it.  If you are best friends, it can become very sticky.

3.    What is your management style? I always thought that my management style was easy, non-micro managing, and trusting.  However, when I was thrown into my first management job, I was the exact opposite.  I didn't know how to motivate someone and I didn't know how to trust that my employees would do as good of a job as I would.  I knew how to do a good job, but I didn't know how to excite someone else to be at their job as well.  I didn't have the confidence to trust my employees to do their jobs.  It wasn't fun and it didn't turn out so pretty.  Let your employees do things their way.  Although it might be different from your method, as long as the finished product is of high quality, it doesn't really matter.  Allow them to set boundaries and encourage them to figure out their own style.  Managing isn't creating carbon copies of you, it is about finding and developing talents.  Let your employees thrive and they will be loyal and work hard.

4.    Manage and reward each employee as an individual. A reward holds different merit for different employees.  I once had an employee who had children and one was single.  It meant more to the employee with children to be able to leave early for school plays, games, and events.  However for my single employee, leaving early right before a vacation was such a bigger reward then just leaving early on a Tuesday. And when it came time for my employee with children to go on vacation, I didn't let her leave early.  It was my way of being fair but in a more rewarding way. Using the same reward, but in different ways is an effective way to leverage to the reward.       

5.    You can admit you don’t know something. When the gap between age and/or experience isn’t distinctly large it can be hard for a new manager to admit that they don’t know something. By admitting you don’t know something you set a tone for your employees and earn their respect.  This simple act can be a building block to a very successful team.

6.    Stand up for your team and take the blame.  You are responsible for your team and their product.  If something goes wrong, never say to your boss, “Sally, my employee, was responsible for that.”  Take the heat and then approach your employee when you are clam and ready to have a productive conversation to explain the mistake.   Show your employees that you have their backs.

7.    If you remember ANY of my tactical plays, remember this ONE.  Think about your best boss/work environment.  Make a list of why that boss was so awesome or why the atmosphere worked for you.  Apply those traits to your management style.  No need to recreate the wheel.

Use my blunders and tactical play to make yourself a RockStar boss that people love coming to work for!



x

No comments:

Post a Comment